In this role you are required to be a self driven, conscientious and well-organised Finance Manager with a keen eye for detail, to work as part of our growing accounts team at RT. This role requires a transactional finance all rounder looking for the opportunity to grow with the company and progress in a company where personal and career development are actively supported ( Including formal training).
The role requires good overall transactional accounting experience. In addition, a dedication to accuracy and right first time philosophy is essential for success in the small team. The role will report into the Head of Finance and will be the key management role for the transactional finance activities of the company, responsible for shaping and driving a developing high performance transactional finance team.
As a developing business the successful candidate will need to be comfortable with immature processes, rapid growth and continual organisational change. They must be able to adapt ways of working in a developing accounting function, be willing to set up and shape new processes, define ways of working for the transactional team and support continuous improvement. This will also entail working closely with other functions, in particular the purchasing team and the ERP specialist for accounting system development; so an inquisitive nature, patience and a good teamworking ethos are a must.
- Management of the transactional finance team functions to ensure all the right supporting documentation, controls, audit trail and authorisations are in place in particular for AP, AR, employee expenses, banking/cash payment activities and VAT reporting.
- Full responsibility for the sales ledger, with limited activity currently this will include creation and reconciliation of invoices including determining correct VAT treatment and credit control. Recruitment of a Sales Ledger Clerk once activity warrants.
- Oversight of the banking and cash forecasting function, managing and supporting the work of the Banking and Cash Manager. Tasks to include authorisation of payment runs and oversight of payroll which is calculated in other departments but transacted in Finance.
- Oversight of employee expenses processing, reorganisation of team workload to take this into the transactional side of the team, as it is currently covered in the reporting team.
- Oversight of the purchase ledger, managing and supporting the work of the Accounts Administrator who currently holds responsibility for purchase ledger and month end general ledger tasks (prepayments, accruals, fixed assets register, specified account reviews and reconciliations).
- Management of the monthly, quarterly and year end completion of transactional finance procedures to ensure an accurate and timely 5 day close of the ledgers. To develop month end procedures and review including comprehensive balance sheet reconciliations process. Working closely with the Forecasting, Planning and Reporting Team to support their preparation of management accounts and commentary for the group.
- Review, preparation and submission of monthly VAT returns.
- Drive and implement increased automation of processes, driving integration of further processes into the partially implemented Netsuite ERP system (e.g. sales ledger and banking functions) as well as longer term implementation of additional systems to drive productivity and support workload in the team including AP Ledger automation.
- Management of year end audit relationship for data provision with external auditors and advisors for statutory accounts and corporation tax preparation and filing.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining good transactional finance controls, processes and procedures to provide appropriate segregation of duties and financial controls. Identification and closure of control gaps.
- As the company grows it is envisaged that there will be rapid growth in the team. This role would be responsible for helping identify the need for recruitment of transactional staff over the coming years and would be the key driver of recruitment, training, and development for the transactional team.
Necessary Skills / Experience – Essential
- Qualified accountant ACCA/ACA/CIMA or equivalent; qualified by experience accountants with relevant experience will also be considered.
- 3 + years’ hands-on experience in a similar position in a manufacturing organisation. Strong double entry knowledge and understanding of accounting up to TB level.
- Drive to learn and want to build the finance function.
- Transactional finance controls experience.
- Line management experience, ideally with experience of building teams.
- Strong working knowledge of and experience supporting sales, purchase and general ledger processes.
- Working knowledge of ERP systems, preferably Netsuite.
- Excellent IT Skills, particularly in Excel.
- Self-starter, takes responsibility for and actively manages objectives and deliverables.
- Excellent time management skills, the ability to multi-task, organise and prioritise own workload and the workload of their team with limited management oversight.
- Strong teamworking ethic, willing to pitch in and support the team where required in order to deliver the team objectives.
- Right first time philosophy and approach to support the same across the team.
- Confidence and professionalism dealing with external stakeholders and senior management.
- Succinct and professional written and oral correspondence skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and tight timescales, particularly at month end where a 5 day close is required.
- Able to deal with rapid pace of change in a fast growing and developing company, including contributing to process and control redesign and improvement.
- Experience of overseeing payroll reporting and activities.
- Hands-on experience in small/medium organisation.
- Netsuite ERP system experience.
- Transactional finance policy setting experience.