THURSDAY, 24 OCTOBER 2019
NEW GLOBAL COMMITMENT REPORT REVEALS PROGRESS TOWARDS ELIMINATING PLASTIC POLLUTION
We are pleased to be represented in the publication of the first Global Commitment 2019 Progress Report. Published by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation and the UN Environmental Programme, it reveals companies’ and governments’ efforts to combat plastic waste and pollution.
KEY MESSAGES FROM THE REPORT
1. The Ellen MacArthur Foundation and the UN Environment Programme release first New Plastics Economy Global Commitment progress report, which reveals companies’ and governments’ efforts to combat plastic waste and pollution.
2. This report provides an unprecedented level of transparency on how almost 200 businesses and governments are transitioning to a circular economy for plastics.
3. Promising progress is being made as companies set out actions to eliminate problematic plastic packaging and to increase the use of recycled plastic in packaging by more than five-fold by 2025.
4. We must see a continued increase in the ambition level to eliminate problematic and unnecessary plastic packaging, innovate so that all plastic packaging is 100% reusable, recyclable, or compostable, and circulate all the plastics we use so they don’t become waste or pollution.
5. Ellen MacArthur Foundation and UN Environment Programme call for more businesses and governments to sign the Global Commitment and work towards achieving a circular economy for plastics.
6. The question is not whether a world without plastic pollution is possible, but what we will do together to make it happen.